Import Moodle Courses
From year to year, you may find it convenient to import previous year(s) course material into your new Moodle course(s).
- In your My Courses list, find the course you want to import from and go to the course page.
- Once you've found the course you want, look at the course's path in the top bar.
- Example: Academics 14-15 > Business and Computer Science > Technology Applications II(ACP)Heid.
- Select and copy the course's name from the bar, from the example above we would copy Technology Applications II(ACP)Heid.
- The text may be a little hard to select. You want to click right on the left edge or just outside of the left edge to begin selecting the text.
- Go to your new course you wish to import content into.
- Hit the gear on the top right to open the course administration panel. Within that panel, click the Import link.
- At the Find a course to import from page, paste the text you copied earlier into the search box. Click search.
- Make sure you do not have any spaces at the start or end of the copied text. If you do, you won't find your old course.
- Select your course from the search results, then click Continue.
- Choose which settings to import from the old course. Uncheck Include Groups and Groupings.
- Click Next.
- At the next screen, uncheck “Include groups and groupings”. If there are any other items you do not want to import, you can uncheck them. After reviewing them click Next.
- At the final screen, review the items to be imported. If everything is good, click Perform Import.
- Wait while the import completes. This may take a while. When done, click Continue.
You probably want to have 52 topics in your course to account for calamity days. If you import a course that has more than the default number of topics (10) you will have orphan topics in your Moodle course.
- Scroll down to the Course Administration panel on the left. Within that panel, click the Edit Settings link.
- Scroll down to Course Format and click it to expand it.
- Change the Number of Sections options to 52. Once you're done, click Save and Display.