Table of Contents
Hangouts Meet Quick Start
Hangouts Meet can run online meetings with video, audio, and screen sharing. In addition to this guide, you can review Google's Hangouts Meet training material, which is more in-depth.
Create a Meeting
There are three ways you can create a meeting. You can create them from Meet itself, in your calendar, or in Hangouts Chat. Each method will give you a unique meeting room with an address like meet.google.com/www-xxxx-yyy. You can send that address to anyone to invite them to join.
From Hangouts Meet
- Go to meet.google.com.
- Click Join or start a meeting and give it a name.
- You may be prompted to show notifications and allow video/audio access. Allow access.
- You'll be given a preview of your video/audio, click Join now to enter the meeting.
- You'll be shown a dialog for adding people to the meeting.
- If you hit Add people you'll be given options to invite others via email.
- If you hit Copy joining info you'll get the meeting URL and a dial-in phone number.
- You can also copy the address from the address bar and send that to others.
When you create or edit your calendar event:
- Click Add rooms, location, or conferencing.
- Click Add conferencing.
- The online meeting's join information will be included in the calendar event.
- When it's meeting time, open your calendar and click the link.
From Hangouts Chat
If you're using the new Hangouts Chat at chat.google.com you can create a meeting from your chat. Click the Add Video icon near the send button.
Share your screen
- While in the meeting, click Present now in the bottom right of the screen.
- Choose a window or your entire screen. Note that some windows can't be shared, and you may have to share your entire screen.
- Click the list of people in the top-right.
- Find the participant, click the drop-down on the right.
- Click the microphone icon to mute them.
Record the Meeting
- While in a meeting, click the three dots in the bottom-right of the window.
- Click record meeting.
- When everyone has left the meeting, or you choose to end recording, a recording will be saved into your Google Drive under the Meet Recordings folder. It can take a few minutes to be created. You'll receive an email when it's saved.
Leave the Meeting
Click the red phone icon in the bottom-center of the screen to hang up.